Thursday, June 30, 2011

The Gift of Fear



I am no stranger to Fear. In all its flashy colours and subtle hues, its shadows and ugliness that my fear based imagination can intensify to the point of convincing me that this is the truth of my reality. If I don’t take time daily to connect to my Soul and Source I can become quickly paralysed in my fears, and this paralysis seeps out into the manifestional plane from deep within my psyche at night. For twenty years I have had a recurring sleep condition called Sleep Paralysis, it’s a mysterious condition that seems to be gaining a bit of recognition in the medical field. I honestly don’t want to be cured of this condition, as I see the connection between my episodes and the lessons that my Soul is bringing to my attention at certain times in my life.
I view fear’s expression in my life as natural as all parts of my human form. I am slowly learning to accept this powerful energy that translates into emotions in me and I can now use it to navigate my way in this human journey. Had I never experienced the nightmare of sheer terror that sleep paralysis can sometimes evoke in me, I would not be able to discern to the degree that I can what is real and what is an illusion that is what is love and what is fear. I also wouldn’t be able to understand how my fears negatively impact myself and others, and most importantly I would not be able to maintain my rational mind and peace in the midst of intense fears in my waking life. This is a gift that I have but I believe that it is also a skill that can be developed and learned.
It’s one thing to have a head full of psycho/spiritual concepts and theories; I’m quite proficient at talking the new thought talk. It’s quite another thing to stay connected to my heart and apply my knowledge and act on the wisdom of my heart in the face of extreme fear. Fear is so rampant and we are all at times desensitized victims to its effects. It makes me sad when I see people in my life that have the need to declare that they are spiritually awake or “conscious” in one breath and the next they express their annoyance almost to the point of hate with the “sleepwalkers” of the world who are not on the same spiritual page with them. I have learned quite painfully this seems to be a transitional phase on the spiritual journey and that the shadow is extremely dark and active, in these deeply “spiritual” people. I learned this through catching myself of my own harsh judgments of people in my life that I judged as not being in tune to their own soul’s or spirituality. This was just a very clever little ploy of my ego playing its game of keeping me in separation…
The gift of fear is its continual presence in our life and this offers us an opportunity to deepen our compassion and understanding with ourselves and others. We cannot connect with each other on the soul level if we are in denial of our own fears. We can however become aware of our fears and shine our light with courage and faith in order to transmute the negative energy and transcend our challenges in our outer reality…

No comments:

Post a Comment